Adventures! Adventures everywhere! Let’s just get right into it:
Wednesday’s day trip to Toronto: My feet were so sore by the end of the day, but oh my god do I ever love this place already. I took loads of pictures, so here, have a slideshow.
Also, I purposely ran through some sprinklers on the U of T campus because I am actually three years old.
Hiking: I explored the Ravine Road Trail and the Sassafras Point Trail on Friday morning.
I’m definitely having a picnic here before it gets too cold.
Supercrawl: Tulsa folks, think of it as First Friday meets the Tulsa State Fair. Food trucks, artists’ tents, street musicians, actual musicians on stages (The Strumbellas and Four Tet were among the bigger names). Also, there was a completely mind-blowing performance group called Circus Orange–I was too enthralled with their performance to get a good video–and a game of giant flaming skee-ball. Not kidding. The whole thing was chaotic and noisy and a little rainy and a lot wonderful.
A giant art installation in the middle of the street.
Miscellaneous weird/different things I’ve noticed:
- No pennies! Canada got rid of the penny a couple years ago, as it turns out.
- Bills are plasticky here instead of papery. More durable that way, I suppose.
- I got a bottle of water at Supercrawl and it tasted just weird enough to freak me out. Turns out it had about 550 ppm of mineral salt in it.
- Hot dog stands are a big thing here. Especially on Queen St. in Toronto, my god, so many of them.
Coffee of the week: I took a much-needed break from walking at Mövenpick Café on Yonge Street in Toronto. The place was expensive but beyond cute.
And also small enough that I would have felt weird just whipping out my phone and taking beaucoup pictures. Hence the subtly-sneaking-a-picture-over-my-shoulder thing.
Food of the week: I TRIED POUTIIIIIIIIINE I’M IN LOOOOOOOOOOVE
Fun fact, I actually forgot to get a pic for the blog until I was more than halfway through the stuff. I went from zero to inhaling it in about 0.2 seconds. Where has it been all my life?
Also, this week I’ve got a recipe for you! I’m not quite sure what to call it, honestly (any suggestions are welcome), but I’ve eaten it for dinner at least three nights this week and it’s delish:
- Make a serving of couscous according to package directions.
- Mix shredded cheese with about a cup and a half of roasted red pepper and tomato soup (I just eyeball this part, really). Nuke the lot for a minute or so.
- Combine couscous with the nuked soup. Serve with milk and pita chips.
Music of the week: I saw The Strumbellas live at Supercrawl.
And this one’s just been stuck in my head constantly.
That’s about it for this week! I’ve only had one class so far, so any reflections on this big scary thing called grad school will have to wait till future posts. Also, hopefully I’ll have time this weekend to explore all over campus, so look for photos from that in next week’s post!