I’ve noticed whenever I have to attend any sort of event that requires me to actually talk to people/not be a total weirdo, I do these same few things every time:
- Make broad, sweeping gestures that involve jazz hands and plies (simultaneously).
- Show pictures of my dogs.
- Turn the topic of conversation to the other person as often as possible so I can just sort of nod and smile.
- Get something to hold, and hold onto it for dear life.
- Warn my conversational partner not to get me started talking about Doctor Who, Sherlock, Star Trek, Elementary, or my novels, because I will inevitably go into Critical Fandom Thought mode and ramble on for a ridiculously long time.
- Joke at least once about how awkward I am.
- BONUS: Provide an example of my awkwardness.
- DOUBLE BONUS: Provide several examples of my awkwardness.
Yes, I did all these things at the event on Tuesday night. On the plus side, I managed to not be a total weirdo (apparently), and my speech went quite well. Maybe I can do this whole functioning-adult thing after all. 🙂